Q. One of my clients has stopped paying my company’s services. What options do I have?
A. Depending on your business relationship with your client and the amount of money at stake, there are several ways to attempt to collect the debt. You may consider litigation - New York State has several layers of courts in its system and our attorneys are capable of helping you proceed your case. If you have a long-standing relationship with the client, however, you may want to negotiate with the client first before moving to litigation.

International Divorce

Q. I met my husband in New York and married him there several years ago. I, however, returned to Japan after a while and am no longer living in the U.S. I have never registered our marriage in Japan. Do I have to get divorced in order to remarry in New York? If I do, how can I start the process in New York?
A. Marriage in the U.S. is recognized in Japan even if it is not registered in the family register (Koseki). New York State has residency requirements for an individual starting a divorce within the state, but if your spouse has lived in the state for a certain amount of time, you may be able to start your divorce process without coming to New York. Generally, you are not required to appear in court for an uncontested divorce.

Estate Administration

Q. My father had lived in New York for a few years in the 1980’s but returned to his home country after that. He recently passed away and we realized that he had left a bank account in New York. How can we retrieve the money from the account? He left no will.
A. Your family needs administration proceeding through the surrogate’s court in the county where the bank is located. A US bank would not let your family retrieve the money from your father’s account without a court’s authorization even if the bank has a branch in your country. Please ask an attorney or the court in the specific county for more details.